Pilot Quality Assurance for Quality Declared Seed
The use of good quality seed and planting materials of high yielding varieties significantly increas-es crop production. It is essential that it is availa-ble on time and place at affordable prices. In Uganda, there are two co-existing seed systems through which seed and planting materials are availed to farmers. The formal system is regulat-ed by Government and contributes about 15% of total seed supply. The remaining 85% of seed is produced through the informal system that is un-regulated and depends on farm-saved seed from previous cropping.